Rich tomato based meat sauce with beef or pork is combined with all the traditional ingredients of pasta Bolognese for a flavorful week night meal that is easy whip up.
Click HERE to order your monastery cookbook to get this recipe as so many others!
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 1 rib celery finely diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1-1/4 cups red wine or beef broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes with juice
- 4 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- pappardelle or tagliatelle or another long pasta
- Sautee onion in oil over medium heat until it starts to soften, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, carrot and celery. Cook until softened, an additional 5 minutes.
- Add beef and pork. Brown until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Add wine and simmer until evaporated, about 7-9 minutes. Add milk and simmer until evaporated, about 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, Italian seasoning, tomatoes with juice and bay leaf. Break tomatoes up with a spoon.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 1⁄2 cups of pasta water.
- Toss pasta with sauce adding pasta water to thin out if needed. Serve hot with grated parmesan cheese.